Thursday, May 24, 2018

What Is My Health Worth?

I've been to a lot of doctor appointments over the past few years.  I've had a lot of tests done.  More often than a few times, I prayed with gratitude for having good health insurance, that I was able to have the cost mostly covered for these appointments and test.  These things took a lot of time.  But it's worth it, right, if I can find answers and get results.

But I didn't find results.  Not in the typical way I was raised to find results  Growing up, if we were sick or hurt, we went to the doctor.  "Ear infection?  Here's an antibiotic."  You know the drill.  The doctor was the only answer.  In fact, we were a little leery of anything homeopathic.  These people were just... weird?  different?  not modernized?  I don't fault my parents for jading my thinking.  That was just the way was at this time; antibiotics were new and readily available, and we used them.

I want all of you to know, I have a great respect for doctors and nurses.  They have dedicated their careers to trying their best to help people to heal and find comfort.  I now have a son-in-law that is studying to become a doctor, and I fully support him.  What I want to share is what I have learned.  Crazy thought:  Doctors are human.  Doctors have limits.  And, sometimes, they don't have all the answers.  It's not to say they aren't trying their best, because they are.  But they are on this earth, learning and progressing along the path, same as us.

Here's another revolutionary notion:  we are the stewards over our own bodies.  If we are in tune enough, relying on prayer and internal evaluation, we can learn what is best for us personally.  And sometimes that might be different than what the medical community thinks is best.  I have a niece in Primary childrens hospital right now who's parents can attest to that fact.  I just heard two other situations where the doctors were sure the patients had no hope and needed to be taken off life support, but these parents opted to trust in God and their children live.  But, I digress.  Thoughts for a different time...

As stewards, we have every responsibiltiy to study, to research, to learn what our bodies need.  I have striven to do that.  I include in this research visits to doctors and learning from them.  What I learned is bits here, pieces there.  I have celiac.  Learned that from a doctor.  But I didn't get the complete solution from any of them, or even all their pieces put together.  Until I went home and took the research upon myself, it was then I started to heal.  I now use essential oils, structured silver, and other supplements.  I now eat organic and steer clear of processed foods and inflammatory foods.

What does this have to do with my blog title today?

I was resistant to "going natural".  Why?  Because it is different.  Because it has a cost. Because it makes me responsible and, let's be honest, we don't like to be responsible when bad things happen.  With doctors and medical tests the financial cost was minimal.  Insurance covered it.  It was awesome!  Right?  Organic food is more expensive.  Oils do cost more than medicine.  Supplements are taken daily and must be bought often.  And none of this is covered by health insurance.  (a political argument for another day 😉) 

One day I was talking out these financial frustrations with a friend.  She said "You can't put a price on your health."  It really made me think.  I was more than willing to take chemicals into my body in the hopes of healing, because they were cheap!  But I was fighting against putting good, amazing stuff into my body that not only heals but prevents, all because I wasn't willing to sacrifice my personal fun money to pay for it.  All because of a price tag.  But was I really saving anything? What was my time at the doctors costing me?  What was my ill health costing my family, in regards to time away from them and fostering relationships?  The spiritual loss could be so much more damaging than any financial cost ever could be. If I'm really a steward over by body, and will be accountable to God someday for what I have done with my body, would I want to tell him that I turned away from His natural creations for something manmade?  That I'd rather have more fabric to feed my hobby than to buy food that would heal my body?  What was a trusting more:  God, or man?

Again, I know this is controversial.  I reiterate, there must be a balance in all things.  God gave us knowledge, gave us technology, gave man the means to gain medical knowledge.  He leads doctors in their work.  But!!! We cannot neglect the natural world.  And that is the journey I now pursue. 

Well then, that took a different course than I originally set out to write. 😂  But here it stays, and here you read what was meant to be written all along. 



P.S.  For readers of last weeks entry... my daughter has given me permission to share her story.  If you will be patient a few weeks, I will share the miracle of her life these last years.  I want to be respectful and honor her as a person, so the entry will take time.  Much love to you, my few readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be reviewed by moderator before being posted.