Monday, June 11, 2018

Food Culture

Food, Food everywhere and not a bite to eat.

For those who have food allergies or diseases that limit their food choices, they can feel the truth of this phrase. 

We live in a world were so many things are centered around food.  Birthday parties:  Must have cake and ice cream.  Game night with friends: where's the snack bowl?  Night at the movies: Popcorn!  It almost seems like you can't have an event unless there is food included.  Our church culture is a huge culprit to the "food need."  Every youth activity has a treat.  So many lessons on Sunday are topped off with candy at the end.  Relief Society get togethers are epic for their refreshments.

Why?  Why have we come to a place where food is the thing that brings people together?

I want you to think for a moment about all the events you go to in a month.  How many of them involved food?  Now I want you to place yourself in a position where food is not necessarily your "friend."  None of the food at those events are things you can partake of.  Sure, they might have a salad here and there, but the dressing might not be one that agrees with your body.  A whole array of yummy food, and you can have none of it. How do you feel now?  Are these events ones that you now want to avoid, just so you don't have to deal with the food situation?  Do you now find sorrow in a place where you used to find joy?

When I first faced my new life of celiac disease I had to make a decision.  How was I going to address this food culture dilemma?  Yes, the world is becoming more aware of food sensitivities and yes people will try to be more understanding and try to provide more food choices.  But it won't always happen.  And, the truth is, I don't expect people to cater to me.  It is not their job to make me happy.  And I won't allow them to make me sad.  I determined from the first what I really wanted, and that was to socialize.  I determined that, for me, the people were what was important at the event, not the food.  Even at a family dinner, specifically centered around a meal.  My mom was so good and would call me before the dinner, wanting to make sure she had something I could eat.  Over and over I tried to convince her I was bringing my own meal and I was fine.  Did that take more thought and preparation on my own part?  Sure.  But I kept going back to my original thoughts, I am there for the people and I choose to be happy no matter what my circumstance. 

Food culture does not have to control our lives.  We can have joy even when surrounded by things that are hard.  Choose joy, because it is your choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be reviewed by moderator before being posted.