Sunday, September 29, 2019

Another Part of the Story

Many people, my daughter included, have asked me when I intend on writing the rest of her story.  That's a tricky question.  Let me explain why.

This past week said daughter sent me a poem she had written for her creative writing class; a beautiful poem about what she thought love was before, and what she grew to learn it truly was. As I read I was not expecting the emotional response my body would have.  All those past feelings from the time of her struggles, all the heartache a parent has when their child suffers, all the anxiety that overcame my being at that time, it all returned in a few short sentences.  The immediate threat was no longer present, but that did not mean my body knew how to respond differently.

I have was is called emotional PTSD.  It is very real.  While I am doing a lot of thought work, redirecting and reframing emotions, that takes time and practice.  I did that this week, reworking my emotions and working through my thoughts after I finished the poem.  These are the reasons I am not ready to publish the rest of her story, yet.  I have more emotional work to do before I am ready to readdress that time in my life again.

So, thank you for your patience.  I know some of you want to hear her story so that you can get answers for the struggles you are currently working through with your own children.  In a way, I guess I just gave you another very real piece of the story.  Sometimes that ugliness continues even when everyone is in a much more joyous, balanced place. And that's just reality.


Her Poem:


I thought love was beautiful.
I thought it was messy and chaotic
But somehow, still beautiful.
I thought love was a goodnight kiss
And a wink that left you with a feeling
Of hope for the good morning smile.

I thought love was playful.
I thought love was colors
And laughter that grew like
Vines into beautiful flowers that
Bloomed into spasmodically-
Colored petals and sweet aromas.

I thought love was strong.
I thought love was two against
Everything else and nothing
Else mattered and no one else
Could intrude and protection went both ways.
I thought love was strong.

I didn’t think love would hurt.
I didn’t think love would leave me
Feeling like I did something wrong
Or like I wasn’t doing enough or
Like I wasn’t worthy of trust or that
I had been alone for so long because I could say no.

I didn’t think love was a tempest.
I didn’t think love would leave me
Bruised and bleeding on the shower floor
Because there was no one else to hurt
Except for myself because no matter what
I said he wouldn’t believe me when I told the truth.

I didn’t think love was supposed to turn its back on you.
I didn’t think love was that feeling where you
Can’t stop crying and must stop breathing
Because the breath drowns you in salt
And vinegar and bitter farewells.
I didn’t think love was supposed to hurt so much.

So I left.

And love became beautiful again.
Love became everything I had hoped
And everything I thought it was meant to be
And we laugh and we cry and we drive
Each other nuts but our love is beautiful
Just like love should be.

I thought love was supposed to be beautiful
Because it is. Our love grows flowers
That blossom in starlight because love
Shines bright in the dark and holds you
When your world is caving in around you
And the only thing holding you together is love.

And that’s when I realized that love is a sunset.
Love is a sun that sets on the heartache
And rises into something worth keeping
And working on until it is polished brighter
Than the diamond on my finger.
This is love, and it is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be reviewed by moderator before being posted.