Tuesday, September 3, 2019

September - Serve the Ailing, Serve the Struggling #davidsmission

As I sat down and planned our service themes for this year I didn't realize that this was childhood cancer awareness month. When three of my dear friends posted on social media, bringing this awareness to my mind, I was awed by the inspiration I had received to choose the theme I did for this month: Serve the Ailing/Serve the Struggling.

Although it has been a few years or more since my friends' children or loved ones have battled cancer, I still think often about what a difficult thing it would be to watch your child fight this disease.  I also think of all the support they had to have received to get through such a fight; support that gave them strength to endure watching one more treatment, take part in one more sleepless night, clean up one more bout of throw-up.  No parent should ever have to do something like this alone.

I have always loved the thought that we become the angels God needs on earth, to administer the help He would give it He were here.  We are needed by those who are afflicted, by those who are barely keeping their heads above water, by those who are silently suffering from mental anguish. Even those small acts that seem like mere drops in an empty bucket can relieve the thirst of a parched soul. 

Our family has chosen to keep this service close to home.  There are many in our church family who need relief in one way or another.  We will fast and pray for them; we will bring treats and a visit; we will babysit children so they can have a much needed night out; we will visit the lonely; we will be friends.

What will you do this month to become an angel?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be reviewed by moderator before being posted.