Tuesday, May 7, 2019

May - Taking Care of You #davidsmission

Life rarely takes us on the path of least resistance. In fact, life is often filled with black diamond courses, difficult level hiking, and plummets made not for the faint of heart. Facing these daunting odds may make one feel inadequate for the tasks ahead.  How will I ever make it though to the other side of this ravine? How can I keep moving forward without changing the way I proceed?

I recently read an article in the April 2019 Ensign addressing sister Cecily Smith's struggle with depression.  I loved the section where she lays forth how she changes the way she proceeded forward with simplicity during those difficult times.  "I've learned to slow down my pace and.. care for myself so I can take care of my family.  I've sometimes had to miss important events, but the more I take care of myself, the quicker I recover." Quoting Elder Uchtdorf, she adds: "When stress levels rise, when distress appears, when tragedy strikes, too often we attempt to keep up the same frantic pace... There is beauty and clarity that comes from simplicity."

This month of service must needs be different for our family.  While traveling back from St. George recently, I was re-listening to general conference.  Sister Eubanks talk struck me when she said: "Part of this life in knowing what NOT to do." While there are many, many good things you can choose to do in life, there are times when you need to choose not to do them.  There are times when life needs to be simplified, the horses corralled and cared for, the spirit recharged and refreshed. That is this month for us.

What needs do you have?  What ways do you need to do things differently this month to take care of you first?  Never forget that giving service to yourself is no less important than giving service to others.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be reviewed by moderator before being posted.